The Lion King is a 1994 American animated epic musical comedy-drama film. It was produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 32nd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. The story takes place in a kingdom of lions in Africa, and was influenced by the biblical tales of Joseph and Moses and the Shakespeare play Hamlet. The film was produced during a period known as the Disney Renaissance. The Lion King was directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff and it was produced by Don Hahn, and has a screenplay credited to Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts and Linda Woolverton. The film features a large ensemble voice cast led by Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Moira Kelly.
The Lion King tells the story of Simba. He is a young lion who is to succeed his father, Mufasa, as king; but,Simba is fooled into thinking he was responsible and flees into exile in shame and despair after Simba’s uncle Scar murders Mufasa. During maturation living with two wastrels, Simba is given some valuable perspective from his friend, Nala, and his shaman, Rafiki, before returning to challenge Scar to end his tyranny.
- Matthew Broderick as Simba – Mufasa and Sarabi’s son, he becomes King of the Pride Lands. Joseph Williamsprovides Simba’s adult singing voice. Mark Henn and Ruben A. Aquino respectively served as the supervising animators for the young and adult Simba.
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa – Simba’s father, the King of the Pride Lands as the film begins. Tony Fucile served as the supervising animator for Mufasa.
- Jeremy Irons as Scar – Mufasa’s younger brother and Simba’s uncle, who usurps the throne. Andreas Deja served as the supervising animator for Scar.
- Moira Kelly as Nala – Simba’s best friend and later his wife.Aaron Blaise and Anthony de Rosa respectively served as the supervising animators for young and adult Nala.
- Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella as Timon and Pumbaa, respectively – Simba’s meerkat and warthog friends. Michael Surrey and Tony Bancroft respectively served as the supervising animators for Timon and Pumbaa.
- Robert Guillaume as Rafiki – a wise old mandrill who serves as shaman of the Pride Lands and presents newborn cubs of the King and Queen to the animals of the Pride Lands. James Baxter served as the supervising animator for Rafiki.
- Rowan Atkinson as Zazu – a hornbill who serves as the king’s majordomo. Ellen Woodbury served as the supervising animator for Zazu.
- Madge Sinclair as Sarabi – Mufasa’s queen, Simba’s mother and the leader of the lioness hunting party. Russ Edmonds served as the supervising animator for Sarabi.
- Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin and Jim Cummings as Shenzi, Banzai and Ed, respectively – the three members of the hyena trio who serve Scar. Alex Kupershmidt and David Burgess animated the hyenas. Cummings also voiced a gopher that talks with Zazu and replaced Irons as Scar in certain lines of “Be Prepared” after Irons blew his voice.
- Zoe Leader as Sarafina – Nala’s mother, who is shown briefly talking to Simba’s mother, Sarabi.